Sunday, June 5, 2011

In search of the next great Summer Song...

Ephemeral.  Is that the word I'm looking for? Ephemeral.  It is.  Evocative too. 

These are the two ideas that come to mind when I think of what I like to call "Summer Songs".  Summer songs are like Christmas songs in the sense that no matter when I hear them, I'm transported.  Transported to someplace idyllic, someplace warm and wet, someplace fantastic.  An "Island in the Sun" maybe?

Even though Summer technically takes up a full quarter of our calendar, it has always seemed the most fleeting of seasons.  Some of my best memories come from Summers past.  How about yours?

I love the music of Summer.  Beach music, surf music, soul music, lazy rock n' roll.  As much as it pains me to say, Summer music is not Metal.  Metal is too precise, too intense.  Summer should be lazy and relaxed - not very Metal.  Plus, leather just is a bad idea on the beach.

There's also something very American about this type of music.  It's probably related to the Beach Movies of the 60's that I remember and the music that made up their soundtracks.  For this kid from Nebraska, it showed a fantasy world of sun, surf, sand, bikinis and rock n' roll music.  It was burned into my psyche.

So even though I was 17 before I ever put a foot on a proper beach and the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, I've always felt like a beach boy.  Thanks Frankie and Annette!

Rather than share my own list of favorite Summer songs, I want to know what yours are.  Here's a link to a pretty good list to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment